Global warming is a term used to describe a gradual increase in the earth’s average ground and atmospheric temperatures across the whole planet. Measurements indicate that the global temperature has increased by about 1 degree Fahrenheit in the past century.
This warming trend appeared during a period when human activities were beginning to increase the carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
Although most scientists believe that a rise in carbon dioxide emissions will lead to further global warming, uncertainties remain about the timing and severity of resulting climatic change. Nevertheless, many are convinced that human activities are partly responsible for the long-term warming of the past century and that climatic changes caused by greenhouse gas increases will be a continuing part of our future. They believe there is enough evidence to warrant a sensible approach toward minimizing the potential consequences of global warming.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a panel of 2,000 scientists convened by the United Nations’ Environment Programme and the World Meteorological Organization, determined that even if we take steps now to reduce our emissions of greenhouse gases, the globe could warm up at a rate faster than it has in the past 10,000 years.
- ► 2009 (10)
- ► 2008 (15)
- Kids "reinvent The Environment"
- The Effects Global Warming May Have On Our Planet
- Easy Steps To Fighting Global Warming Today To Sav...
- Effects Of Global Warming That Are Happening Today...
- The Issue Of Transportation And Extreme Events In ...
- Global Warming: The Ipcc Reports
- Beating The Heat With Air Conditioners
- Global Warming And The Significance Effects
- What Is Global Warming
- ▼ November (9)