Top 10 Things You Can Do to Reduce Global Warming
Global Warming is a reality that we are living in today. Although, according to scientists the phenomenon started thousands of years ago, but, the effects of it are really beginning to show more drastically now. A recent news report on the sudden shrinking of the polar ice caps have raised a huge alarm not only in the scientific community but also worldwide. There already exists numerous groups that are working towards reducing the ill effects of global warming and creating the awareness for things that can slow it down, if not avoid it.
10 Actions You Could Take
Here are 10 simple things that each individual can follow to contribute toward helping the cause.
1. Reduce, reuse and recycle all household waste. Try to buy things which can be reused rather than disposed. Recycle old and used newspapers, glass and metals with the help of your community. This alone can annually save 2,400 pounds of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere.
2. Reduce the use of heat and air conditioning in your house. Use alternatives like wearing warm clothes and keeping yourself warm rather than cranking up the heat. Add insulation to your walls and windows to keep the temperatures indoors moderate.
3. Use public transportation rather than taking out your car each time. If going grocery shopping, try walking up to the store or taking a bus. You could also use an option of carpooling while dropping your children to school or while going to work. Also make sure that the car you drive is fuel efficient and if possible uses alternative sources of ignition like bio fuel or electricity.
4. As much as possible, buy energy efficient products for your house. Replace the regular light bulbs with fluorescent bulbs to save energy. Use natural light during daytime which is also a healthier lifestyle option.
5. Say no to plastic bags when you go shopping. Encourage the use of paper bags or better still get your own cloth bag to the store to carry your purchases.
6. Switch off lights and air conditioning when you leave the room. This way not only do you save on your utilities bill but also cut down on your carbon footprint.
7. Turn off the tap water in the bathroom while brushing your teeth. Reduce the bath time and take bucket baths instead of running showers.
8. Reduce your intake of meat and beef. These products release methane into the atmosphere which is one of the most prominent greenhouse gases which impact global warming.
9. Wash your laundry in cold water and ditch the dryers. A couple of drying spins should be good enough to put your clothes on the clothesline to dry. This will save both energy and water.
10. Start being an active contributor to the environment by planting trees. Take it up as a group activity and involve your family into it. Along with caring for the environment you will also develop quality family time.
Care for your planet? free recycling quotes makes recycling easy with instant recycling quotes from our network of over a thousand recycling companies.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Stefano_Grossi
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7362886